A Twitch in Time?

14:38 Pippa Ainsworth 0 Comments

Recently we've noticed that Bud has started with a little nervous tick or twitch, basically he softly pinches his mouth and chin. I can't really describe it other than by saying that he brings his fingers and thumb together by smoothing them down his face. If anyone remembers that 'Jimmy Hill' thing people used to do where they rubbed their chin, the movement is a bit like that but on his lips instead of his chin. Phew, I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at!

Anyway, we first noticed it a couple of weeks ago and he has been doing it since. We see it when he is tired or upset and when someone leaves the room. I've been trying to ignore it and not make an issue of it but it is really starting to upset me. A few people have said he is doing it to comfort himself, which is OK - he has never had a dummy or a blanket and has never really bonded with a special cuddly toy but I feel awful that he needs to comfort himself, does it mean that he feels anxious or alone? Do you see what I mean? I am with him during virtually all his waking moments and feel like I am somehow failing him because he is worrying or feeling insecure choosing to comfort himself in this way and my comforting is not enough! I know I'm being an irrational mummy but I can't help feeling upset when I see him doing it.

I've been frantically googling and the consensus seems to be that it will probably go away on its' own. For now I think I'm going to have to keep watching my little boy perform his little movement. There has been no other change in his mood or behaviour so maybe it is simply him getting older and more independent? I don't know but I don't like it.

Do any of you have any experience of this with your little ones? I'm hoping that in a couple of months I'll be wondering why I was so worried in this blog post.