Listography - My Top 5 Christmas Songs

00:02 Pippa Ainsworth 0 Comments

So, this week's Listography from Kate Takes 5 is being hosted by Alma's These Precious Things and asks for your top 5 Christmas Songs. I have also been tagged by Him at The Blog Up North to name my favourite Christmas song so I am combining the two.

I love Christmas songs and was tempted to name songs like 'The Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl, 'Christmas Wrapping' by The Waitresses, 'Driving Home for Christmas' by Chris Rea or 'Stay' by East 17 (even though it isn't really a Christmas song). These are all excellent choices and songs that I love but I've decided to look to my record collection and bring you a Very Indie Christmas.

1. Home for the Holidays by Tim Wheeler and Emmy the Great


I've posted before about how much I love Ash and Tim Wheeler and, this year, bizarrely, the man himself has decided to record a Christmas album with the very talented Emmy the Great. This is the best of the bunch I think. I especially love the very cheesy video and presence of Christmas jumpers which don't detract from this being a great song.

2. The Ghost of Christmas - Manic Street Preachers


Yes, those Manic Street Preachers. The same Manic Street Preachers who have a reputation for taking themselves very seriously. This song was never released as a single but it really should have been. I defy anyone not to tap their foot along to this.

3. Space Christmas - Shonen Knife


I love Shonen Knife. They made perfect Japanese pop. I discovered them because they were beloved of The Sultans of Ping who you will meet later in this rundown. This song is the perfect Christmas song - it has a simple message and gets it across in around 3 minutes. What else do you need for the festive season?

4. Christmas is Going to the Dogs - eels


I'm sorry, the video to this is awful but it seems to be the only one on Youtube! This is a great song, because we all sometimes feel like this at Christmas.

And, I've decided, my favourite Christmas song...

5. Xmas Bubblegum Machine - Sultans of Ping


100 seconds of pure Punk Pop with a very festive message. This could be the best, and possibly, least heard Christmas song ever made.

So, what are your favourite Christmas songs?

Photobucket